My 4 year old eats an apple a day, and not because it will keep the doctor away nor because it helps keep her teeth clean but because she loves the crunch of a delicious fresh apple. Apples are a rich source soluble fiber (which may lower cholesterol), red apples contain querctin (may help with immune function and allergies), they are rich in vitamin C, the phytonutrients may help prevent diabetes, so really why not crunch into one.
Pick Your Own Apples
Apple picking can be such a fun thing to do at this time of year, and “pick your own” farms are announcing their openings. As a community I believe it is so important to help the apple farmers and go picking, but apples can be heavily sprayed. A simple way of dealing with the spray would be to wash and peel the apple but even better is to choose to pick organic apples. I suggest you clean all apples with this simple fruit and vegetable wash.
Now if you do go apple picking and end up with a million apples….besides the usual applesauce or apple crumble try making a tasty apple pie smoothie.
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 2 apples cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup milk (substitute almond or coconut)
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 2 dates (or 1 tbs of maple syrup)
- 1 tsp apple pie spice (you can make your own by 2 tbs cinnamon, 1 tsp all spice, ½ tsp ginger and nutmeg
- Blend it all together until it reaches your desired texture.