Aromatherapy can help us in so many ways without chemicals. It can be used to increase our energy, help with relaxation or stress relief, sleeplessness, cold and sinus relief, and much more. With a little bit of knowledge, many of the over the counter items in our medicine cabinet can be replaced with essential oils.
We are all striving to be more natural but when we get sick or our children are unwell, we want our child to feel better as quickly as possible. It is so easy to grab some over the counter medicine and take a pill or give our child some cough/cold syrup because we know the symptoms will subside fairly quickly.
There are alternatives. Aromatherapy is a “natural medicine” that we all have access to. Essential oils, the basis of Aromatherapy, are available at almost all health food stores and even many of our local grocery stores.
Unfortunately, with the busyness of the holiday season, we are much more prone to sickness as everyone is getting less sleep and spending more time out and about.
Aromatherapy For The Holidays
Three Ways To Use Lavender
- Create your own sleep aid by putting a few drops of lavender on a tissue and place under your pillow or your child’s pillow.
- Add 10 drops of lavender to yours’ or your child’s bath. (This is also great for relaxation).
- Make massage oil for you or your child by adding 10 drops of lavender to 4 oz of a carrier oil such as avocado oil, coconut oil or even olive oil. This oil is safe for babies. This is very relaxing and helps to promote sleep.
Steps To Make Your Own Chest Rub
- Create your own cold and cough rub by melting 1 oz of beeswax in a double boiler or bain-marie.
- Once melted, add 2oz’s of organic coconut oil (can be found at health food stores or the health food section of the grocery store).
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Add 10-12 drops of rosemary essential oil and 10 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Stir until melted.
- Pour into a metal or plastic container. Allow to cool.
- This can be used as a chest rub without the chemicals to help relieve cold symptoms.
Aromatherapy gives us an alternative to going to the pharmacy for relief from feeling under the weather. Using aromatherapy for the holidays offers us a more natural approach to a healthy and joyful season.