As they do every year, EWG did the work of narrowing down the best sunscreen lotion for babies and kids into a list of 22 sunscreens. Not every sunscreen is easily found in Canada and with our low dollar, we want to spend Canadian dollars. With summer holidays on the horizon, now is the time to stock up on enough sunscreen for your little ones or to test out a few new ones to find a favourite.
EWG’s Best Sunscreen For Kids:
Where to find them in Canada
Here are 6 out of EWG’s 22 best sunscreens for babies and kids and the Canadian online shops where you can buy them (let me know if I missed a sunscreen and I’ll add it to the list!).
- Badger Kids Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30 (Well.ca)
- Belly Buttons & Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 ( Ninety Ninth Monkey)Belly Buttons & Babies has it on their own website but they charge in US dollars
- COOLA Suncare Baby Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Moisturizer, SPF 50 (Detox Market)
- Goddess Garden Kids Sport Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 (terra20)
- Substance Baby Natural Sun Care Creme, SPF 30 (matter company, Well.ca, Skin to Skin Goods)
- Thinksport for Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+ (Ninety Ninth Monkey, terra20)
You’ll notice that spray sunscreen do not make the list. People underestimate the amount of sunscreen they need when using sprays and they can be easily inhaled by children. If your sunscreen didn’t make the list, find out how to choose a safer sunscreen.
Of course, applying sunscreen alone won’t protect your child from harmful rays. There are a few simple things you can do to maximize the effectiveness of your child’s sunscreen. These tips apply to you, too.
- Be generous in the amount of sunscreen you use.
- Apply sunscreen BEFORE going outside.
- Don’t forget tops of feet and hands.
- Reapply every two hours, after sweating, or going in the water.
Living Well In Motherhood
Green Moms Collective is passionate about living well in motherhood. With a little help from mothers who get it and wellness experts. Get us weekly.