Environmental Defence discovered that the average Canadian uses more than 15 personal care products with over 100 toxic ingredients before breakfast. Yikes, right?!
But you only need to read the ingredients list on each product used during your morning beauty routine to understand how quickly the toxins add up!
Think about what you use every day: toothpaste, soap, deodorant, face cream, mascara, concealer, shampoo, and more! The chemicals in these products which can include petrochemicals, triclosan, and lead, end up in our bodies where they accumulate to create our individual toxic body burden.
Can beauty products make you sick?
Once they enter your body, the toxic chemicals can harm your health in a variety of ways including disrupting hormones (e.g., mimic or block estrogen), impacting respiratory system (e.g., allergies or asthma), playing havoc with your reproductive system, and the introduction or aggravation of cancer through carcinogenic chemicals.
According to Environmental Defence, you should avoid the following ten toxic ingredients:
- Artificial Musks
- Coal Tar Derived Colours
- BHA & BHT
- Formaldehyde Releasing Agents
- Silicone Chemicals
5 easy steps to audit your personal care products
A simple but effective way to make impactful changes in your health is to control the items you put on your skin daily, reducing your exposure to toxic ingredients will help reduce cancer and health risks. Follow these five steps towards better beauty:
- Gather together all your personal care products.
- Choose the 10 beauty products you use every single day.
- Download the Think Dirty Shop Clean app. It quickly scans products to give you the low down on their ingredients including how they rate on the “dirty meter”.
- Choose any items that rates above a “3” on the dirty meter. These are the products that you'll want to find substitutions for as you finish them.
- Find alternatives by looking at the recommendations from Think Dirty, shopping with this pocket personal care products guide, or meeting some of my favourite natural skin care brands.
The beauty audit may leave you feeling overwhelmed and worried but don’t avoid it! Once you've unmasked the truth about your products you'll be able to focus your energies and finances on making high-impact changes, replacing them with eco-beauty products that look good and are better for you!
Living Well In Motherhood
Green Moms Collective is passionate about living well in motherhood. With a little help from mothers who get it and wellness experts. Get us weekly.