My favourite way of getting more protein, fruits, and greens into the diet quickly and easily is homemade smoothies. They taste amazing and have nothing but goodness in them.
There are endless varieties of smoothie recipes. They can be customized to suit any need and taste, including picky kids. All you need is a good blender and some will to experiment.
How To Make Green Smoothies
Mix and match one or more ingredient from each category
- Milk alternative – almond, rice, soy
- Juice – orange, apple, cranberry, pineapple, mango nectar, pomegranate, carrot…)
- Mineral water (after the blend)
- Coconut water
- Berries – blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, blackberries
- Ripe banana
- Ripe peach
- Avocado – very creamy, so add extra fluid
- Apple, pear (if you have a strong blender)
- Spinach – best for beginners as it doesn’t give off any taste
- Beet greens or pre-cooked beets
- Sprouts – broccoli, pea, seeds
- Nut butters – peanut, almond, cashew, hazelnut
- Soaked nuts – soak raw almonds, walnuts, or pecans in a jar/bowl with clean water the night before
- Protein powder – Whey based, or some combination of hemp, pea, soy, and rice protein
- Ground flaxseeds
- Chia seeds
Happy Blending! You can download this green smoothie cheatsheet for your fridge here.
Discover Your Food Sensitivies
A 7-Day Meal Plan
Try our amazing 7-day elimination compliant meal plan with delicious recipes that won't leave you feeling overwhelmed or restricted.