Self-care…Hmm, how many moms practice that regularly? With the pressures of parenting, working, being green, cooking from scratch, how many of us are mindful enough to take time for ourselves?
There is a saying that you can only love others as much as you love yourself, well I believe you can only take care of others as best as you care for yourself.
Do You Do As You Say?!
If we teach our children to not hit others and use our words, as adults do we think before we use our words? If we teach our children to express their feelings, cry when they are sad, say they are frustrated or angry, do we do the same?
Many people now are teaching their kids to take deep breaths when they are upset, but do they ACTUALLY do it? If our kids are tired, we let them skip a program, watch tv, snuggle in bed, however when we are tired do we take time for ourselves?
We have begun another year with the usual whirlwind of parties, family, more time with the kids, shopping etc. Can you say no to things you don’t want to do in order to take more time for yourself? Begin to listen to that voice inside your head that tells you to slow down, to cancel plans or to just leave a messy sink.
So now all these questions are all well and good but how do we put it into practice?
The first is to make a mug of tea, grab a pen and paper, maybe slippers or a blanket. Then go!
Write all your favorite things to do that you never have time for, this is not a to-do list. This is a“This makes me happy list”. If you are anything like me the list will be on construction paper with hearts, doodles, colours, and more.
Another thing I find helpful is to record how long the activities take, that way when in a rush you know what you can quickly do to ground yourself in you!
Self-Care Ideas For You!
- Breath. Sounds so simple but so important, take a few moments to connect with your breath and feel your body.
- A deeper breath practice of 4 counts inhale and 8 counts exhale for 10 rounds (5-10 minutes)
- Take a bath with bubbles, or Epsom salts (30 minutes)
- Read a book (depending on mood either inspirational if you need a lift or a fun story to pull you into never land) (30-60 minutes)
- Paint or draw silly faces. (3-60 minutes)
- Sing at the top of your lungs. This is the best for time spent in the car. (4 minutes +)
- Snuggle on the couch and put on a great movie, I think popcorn is a must!
- Listen to your favorite album-happy or sad, remember we want to cry sometimes and that’s ok! (40 minutes)
- Go for a walk in nature, water is always good to be around, or even sit outside and take 10 deep breaths (5-60 minutes)
- Practice some of these bite-sized mindfulness tips for mamas
The purpose of self-care is to bring us back to us, to what is really important and to help us stay connected to our goals, our direction, and how we want to be in the world! So when you get frazzled, feel disconnected or about to lose your cool, take time for SELF-CARE!
Feel Happy Recipes
5 Recipes To Boost Your Wellness
Eating clean can help you feel happier. Get our FREE 5 delicious recipes to eat clean and feel happy.